Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SAVE $80-100 use your laptop as wi-fi adapter for xbox 360

3 posters

Go down

SAVE $80-100 use your laptop as wi-fi adapter for xbox 360 Empty SAVE $80-100 use your laptop as wi-fi adapter for xbox 360

Post by John Mactavish Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:27 pm

requirements-

laptop, connected to internet via wifi
ethernet cable
windows xp

instructions-

1.) connect laptop to internet using wifi. you should have this icon in taskbar. test connection by opening web browser and go to google.com

SAVE $80-100 use your laptop as wi-fi adapter for xbox 360 2908074885_3a05fef6a2_o

2.) go to control panel and choose 'network connections' or 'network and internet connections --> click network connections'. Your network connection window should look like this:

SAVE $80-100 use your laptop as wi-fi adapter for xbox 360 2908920194_99ae3751a6

3.) select both 'wireless network connection' and 'local area connection'. You can quickly do this by holding down 'CTRL' and left clicking both connections. both connections will now be greyed out. Now right click on the greyed out area and click 'bridge connections'.

SAVE $80-100 use your laptop as wi-fi adapter for xbox 360 2908919334_7f61bf74fd_o

A window will pop up 'Please wait while windows bridges the connections'. You will now see a new icon called 'Network Bridge'.

SAVE $80-100 use your laptop as wi-fi adapter for xbox 360 2908074537_1303b3e3f0_o

4.) check your internet connection. open web browser and goto google.com. On my laptop it takes less than a minute before i get the google.com website to load after creating the network bridge.

5.) now right click on '1394 Connection' and click 'add to bridge'. Now all connections should be under Network bridge. You must again open your web browser and goto google.com to check internet connection.

6.) Now we have to get our IP configuration details. Click Start on the task bar --> All Programs --> Accessories --> Command Prompt. The command prompt window will open. Type 'ipconfig /all'. The details will look like this:

SAVE $80-100 use your laptop as wi-fi adapter for xbox 360 2908074285_3a65843772

7.) note IP address: 192.168.2.165
Default gateway: 192.168.2.1
DNS: 192.168.2.1
your details may be different.

8.) Now using the ethernet cable, attach one end to your laptop ethernet jack, the other end to the ethernet jack of xbox 360.

9.) Turn on xbox 360. In the dashboard, goto SYSTEM --> Network settings --> Edit settings. MANUALLY change settings.

set IP address: (since my laptop IP above is 192.168.2.165 i will add 1 so i will set it to...) 192.168.2.166
Gateway: (follow the IP config details) 192.168.2.1
DNS: (follow the IP config details) 192.168.2.1

When you change each setting you will have to Test xbox live connection each time to SAVE changes. After the last setting change, the test xbox live connection results should be a success.

10.) DONOT forget to make sure you have xbox live's ports forwarded to your laptop ip address, in your router configuration.

The xbox live ports :
3074 both UDP and TCP
88 only UDP

11.) You must also forward the ports in windows xp. To do this you must goto the network connections window again. Right click on 'network bridge' --> Properties --> advanced --> Settings --> set windows firewall to OFF (this is the faster way to do this if your router already has a firewall), or you can leave the windows firewall ON --> click 'exceptions tab' and click 'ADD port'. add the following xbox live ports above in to the exceptions of windows firewall box.

12.) Now connect to xbox live. Have fun! An additional advantage to doing this is that if you have windows media player 11, with sharing enabled, you can stream videos and music from your laptop to the xbox 360. you don't need to use thumb drives or external usb HDDs.
John Mactavish
John Mactavish
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2007-11-26

Back to top Go down

SAVE $80-100 use your laptop as wi-fi adapter for xbox 360 Empty Re: SAVE $80-100 use your laptop as wi-fi adapter for xbox 360

Post by TDANZA420 Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:42 pm

when can you stop by to set it up for me man jajaja

good stuff indeed but me being a noob at all this would ask, isn't this almost the same as just running and ethernet cable from your router to your xbox? After all your just using the connection from the PC and using the cable to connect to the xbox
TDANZA420
TDANZA420
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Number of posts : 1473
Registration date : 2007-11-27

http://www.myspace.com/jt2482

Back to top Go down

SAVE $80-100 use your laptop as wi-fi adapter for xbox 360 Empty Re: SAVE $80-100 use your laptop as wi-fi adapter for xbox 360

Post by John Mactavish Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:02 am

your right tdanza, that's the whole point. It's the same as running an ethernet cable from your router to your 360, same speed, but without the cable. Yes, you will need an ethernet cable but definitely a shorter one to connect the 360 to the laptop. it would be perfect if your house is wired with ethernet throughout the house then you wouldn't need to do something like this.

This was very useful when my family moved into an apartment right underneath my sister's apartment. We had to wait one week for AT&T to hook up the internet. So the whole week we had no internet. It was a good thing my sister had internet in her apartment. From the new apartment, I connected my laptop to her wifi router, bridged the connections, hooked a short ethernet cable to laptop and xbox 360 and I was able to sign in to xbox live.

Recently we moved again, and right now my wifi router and modem is in the family room, which is around 30 feet away from my bedroom and parents don't want cables on the floor, or stapled to the wall. I tried but they told me to find another way so I used this setup again.

Before I thought of this, I was thinking of ordering another phone jack for my bedroom but it costs 125 at att to install one. I was thinking of getting the wireless adapter from microsoft but its $80-100. This was the only solution that didnt cost me anything.

This is also a cool idea if you have your router/modem/internet setup downstairs, and you want a wireless solution upstairs not using any long cables.

Another cool thing is you could stream movies and music from your laptop to your xbox 360. no need to burn xvids or copy files to a thumbdrive or HDD.
John Mactavish
John Mactavish
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by KuyaPogi Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:33 am

i just got comcast and used to have at&t and i must say internet is way faster with faster d/l speeds

KuyaPogi
Water Boy
Water Boy

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by John Mactavish Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:02 pm

KuyaPogi wrote:i just got comcast and used to have at&t and i must say internet is way faster with faster d/l speeds

hey kuya, i wanted to get comcast but I was concerned about slow down during peak hours. Are you experiencing any of that? And is there a bandwidth cap?
John Mactavish
John Mactavish
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by KuyaPogi Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:01 pm

lol tito chad you just called me Kuya... i love this name.. ne who... not that i have experienced... but yet im only on in the morning and at nite.... i hear rumors of there being a bandwidth cap... but i'll have to hook up the xbox and see.... my kuya who lives on the first floor is running his ps3 and is having no problems at all

KuyaPogi
Water Boy
Water Boy

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by TDANZA420 Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:29 pm

wait wait wait im a little last on all this but when did you all move and not move? Being the lone ATT worker (thanks to GD leaving for better things hahaha) anytime i can get some referrels i would love it. For 77 points i can get a 5lb ham hahaha

If you guys use any ATT service and don't mind hookin me up let me know or send me a message on XBL so i can get more info from you all
TDANZA420
TDANZA420
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Number of posts : 1473
Registration date : 2007-11-27

http://www.myspace.com/jt2482

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down