Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sim Play Guidelines

+6
maniacjay23
aRod914
TDANZA420
GD360
Hudacris M3
YAYONAIZE
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sim Play Guidelines Empty Sim Play Guidelines

Post by YAYONAIZE Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:32 pm

I know for the most part that we have a pretty relaxed policy when it comes to instituting sim play although it's agreed that playing sim is what brings us together and keeps us strong. With that in mind I thought to scan some other 2K sim sites and highlight how they go about instituting rules (as opposed to guidelines) simply as a reminder and also to point out some of the more subtle aspects to consider. One thing I have noticed is that the most recent patch should have addressed some of the concerns that required rules to keep sim such as the doubleteam glitch. Remember, this is solely for everyone's perspective as there are other successful and pretty cool sim leagues out there.

These links will take you to other league sites' rule pages if you are in anyway unsure about sim play and want to see more references:

Sim League Volume 1
Elite Sims
Real Sim 2K8

Happy Simming Everyone!!!
YAYONAIZE
YAYONAIZE
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Number of posts : 315
Registration date : 2007-11-28

Back to top Go down

Sim Play Guidelines Empty Re: Sim Play Guidelines

Post by Hudacris M3 Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:39 pm

I usually don't care about how anyone plays, rather it be zone or off ball, or swiping, or fastbreaking or whatnot...cuz theres always a way to beat it. Its a matter of respect between all of us and we're all fun to play against and everyone has a different style

The only thing I will say however is be aware if your pounding it inside a little too much. 5, 6, even 7 trips down the court resulting in a dunk can be a bit frustrating against your opponent.
Hudacris M3
Hudacris M3
The Patch Informer

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GD360 Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:53 pm

Good Post Yayo!

I am soo with Huda on this. I agree not caring about the style although consistent moves every time down court can get annoying! Yes, 5-7 dunks in a row is not very sim. It does happen in SOME NBA Games but if this abused it is definitely NOT SIM.

All DSL Vets, please work with our new guys and let them know what SIM Play is. I know PJ and PTWIZZLE are new. They actually went out to buy the game for this league. Please help them out with any questions they have with the rules and let them know if they don't understand the SIM thing.

Thanks ALL!

Yayo, i'll check out those rules when i get a chance.
GD360
GD360
Admin

Number of posts : 608
Registration date : 2007-11-24

http://www.digitalsportsleagues.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TDANZA420 Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:53 pm

What if we draft Jerome James.........its obvious that we want to drive each time down the court jajaja
TDANZA420
TDANZA420
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Number of posts : 1473
Registration date : 2007-11-27

http://www.myspace.com/jt2482

Back to top Go down

Post by YAYONAIZE Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:06 pm

the only true sim way to play Jerome James is if you start him at the point and average a triple double with him. Anything less is just cheese.
YAYONAIZE
YAYONAIZE
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by YAYONAIZE Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:47 pm

Hudacris M3 wrote:I usually don't care about how anyone plays, rather it be zone or off ball, or swiping, or fastbreaking or whatnot...cuz theres always a way to beat it. Its a matter of respect between all of us and we're all fun to play against and everyone has a different style

The only thing I will say however is be aware if your pounding it inside a little too much. 5, 6, even 7 trips down the court resulting in a dunk can be a bit frustrating against your opponent.

True that. It's one thing though if you are pounding it in because your team is loaded with front court guys like KG, Duncan, even Shaq. But getting off dunk after dunk after dunk isn't sim. If you are going to score the majority of your points in the paint, get them out of the post with baby hooks, fade aways, and up and under moves and you have my respect. That's legit. Force the double team and then nail wide open jumpers. Basketball at it's finest IMO.

As far as full court play goes, I liked some of the points that I came across with regards to pressing after every basket. No team in the NBA does that so calling that sim is a stretch. Also, forcing the PG to turn the ball over at the mid court line using the animation glitch is pretty
cheezy and so is going for the inbounds steal everytime unless you are down huge later in the game.

Mix in the pick and roll with the pick in pop. Very sim and the best way to create space for mid range looks and open threes on occasion. Running screen plays such as Beluba screen is a great way to get your wings open for jumpers and one on one isolation mismatches. I can go on and on. I think the idea is try to use the sim features and ask your opponent how to pull it off if you are trying to learn. Keep it sim by sharing sim.

Check out these tutorials too. It might be impossible to play non sim after seeing how it's really done:

Zihinmaster (this guy is freaking good and he shares his knowledge...these videos are like Savartus x 100 for those of you who remember his stuff from the 2K forums)
YAYONAIZE
YAYONAIZE
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TDANZA420 Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:25 pm

YAYONAIZE wrote:the only true sim way to play Jerome James is if you start him at the point and average a triple double with him. Anything less is just cheese.

damn.....in that case let Hudiah Thomas have him, only triple double i average is going to be Turnovers - Air balls and minutes on the bench
TDANZA420
TDANZA420
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by aRod914 Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:55 pm

beautifully put Huda...couldn't agree with you more. I don't care how people play, just don't dunk the ball 5 consecutive time up the court. Theres many times I have an easy score but just back away so Im not dunking in consective plays...maybe thats stupid, but I just do it
aRod914
aRod914
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Number of posts : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by GD360 Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:56 pm

YAYONAIZE wrote:
Hudacris M3 wrote:I usually don't care about how anyone plays, rather it be zone or off ball, or swiping, or fastbreaking or whatnot...cuz theres always a way to beat it. Its a matter of respect between all of us and we're all fun to play against and everyone has a different style

True that. It's one thing though if you are pounding it in because your team is loaded with front court guys like KG, Duncan, even Shaq. But getting off dunk after dunk after dunk isn't sim. If you are going to score the majority of your points in the paint, get them out of the post with baby hooks, fade aways, and up and under moves and you have my respect. That's legit. Force the double team and then nail wide open jumpers. Basketball at it's finest IMO.

As far as full court play goes, I liked some of the points that I came across with regards to pressing after every basket. No team in the NBA does that so calling that sim is a stretch. Also, forcing the PG to turn the ball over at the mid court line using the animation glitch is pretty
cheezy and so is going for the inbounds steal everytime unless you are down huge later in the game.

Mix in the pick and roll with the pick in pop. Very sim and the best way to create space for mid range looks and open threes on occasion. Running screen plays such as Beluba screen is a great way to get your wings open for jumpers and one on one isolation mismatches. I can go on and on. I think the idea is try to use the sim features and ask your opponent how to pull it off if you are trying to learn. Keep it sim by sharing sim.

Check out these tutorials too. It might be impossible to play non sim after seeing how it's really done:

Zihinmaster (this guy is freaking good and he shares his knowledge...these videos are like Savartus x 100 for those of you who remember his stuff from the 2K forums)

Awesome post Yayo. That Zihinmaster has great videos!! Will check them out now.
GD360
GD360
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maniacjay23 Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:39 am

true how do the warriors fit into that mold theyre offense is built around 3s lay ups dunks and dirive and kicks they ;look for 1 on one and lay ups first and the threes, they press half the time . shooot about ITS ON NBA.COM IN 37 GMS THEYVE SHOT 1018 3 ABOUT 27 PER GAME ABOUT 5 PER QTR ONLY HITTIN LEEESSS THAN 40 percent they shoot alot of lay up s and trnsition points now they play up tempp\puttin barnes an petrius at at PF and center tooo or putting harrington at center and making yao gaurd on perimetrer and the post up baron lol. beidrins is garbage man offf missed shots his % is in 60s because of that

they re style will pisss people offff lol walk up 3s bad shots layups and jumpers and dunks not as many as 3 s buttt warrior ball if i played like that would peopple get ppissssed im from the bay area watch them pay
they presss to bnot get a steal but to sppeeed game up and force a mistake
how would that change how i play now

dunking all the time iss cheese but transition offf made baskets and missses warriors do that about 30 percent of the times but they shoot 3s al day and loook for drives

sould that pisss everyone offff
maniacjay23
maniacjay23
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2007-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post by alsolidus Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:21 pm

if you getting open 3's that is the defenses fault but if you exploiting the game's AI throwing lead passes under the basket for easy buckets then that is a problem

alsolidus
Water Boy
Water Boy

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2007-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by YAYONAIZE Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:10 pm

There is always a gray area when it comes to "sim play" which is why it is vital to have your headset on when you play so you can keep that line of communication open and point out to your opponent whenever you have an issue with their style. If you have the likes of Steve Nash and you don't lead pass half the time, are you really playing like Steve Nash? If you have Kobe and you go for a run at 81 points, isn't that by definition sim in a way? If in doubt, pose the question to your opponent. We all know what lobby games are like, and we all agree that's not what we came together to do with this league. Exploiting your opponents' weaknesses or playing to your team's strengths is one thing, but chucking the ball to half court on every inbound pass for cheap dunks and then full court pressing the inbounds pass time after time is lobby play pure and simple. Creating open threes off of screens or open looks due to double teams on the block? Do it all day and you're sim because guess what? You are taking what the defense is giving you. Come up court and chuck up threes thirty times without passing once down low? Not so sim really unless your front court looks like Jeff Foster and Jerome James. I know what the complaint is with the lead pass because it can lead to pretty easy dunks when combined with the pick and roll. If you mix it in with your offense I think that's great if it gives your offense balance, but if you rely on that play exclusively then try to mix it up a little with the pick and pop or kick it out on the drive to a wide open shooter on the wing. I personally use pick and roll a lot, but I like to get jumpers off the screen or pop out for open looks with the dude setting the pick. Try loosening up your defense to protect against the pass and maybe your opponent will think twice about lead passes in the paint. Don't underestimate the effect of your settings have on the game. A simple adjustment is usually all it takes to bottle up a one dimensional offense, and you can't get more sim that that.
YAYONAIZE
YAYONAIZE
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by maniacjay23 Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:50 pm

ok ok i see just love the opportunity here to play sim balll and warriors do shooot alot of jumpers and thresss but they misss alot as weklll thery get transition shots and lay ups not as much dunks though no inside game lol sept for petrius b didddy lol ok ok

dont wannna pisss anyone offf love the people and vibe here
maniacjay23
maniacjay23
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2007-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post by TDANZA420 Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:55 am

YAYONAIZE wrote:There is always a gray area when it comes to "sim play" which is why it is vital to have your headset on when you play so you can keep that line of communication open and point out to your opponent whenever you have an issue with their style. If you have the likes of Steve Nash and you don't lead pass half the time, are you really playing like Steve Nash? If you have Kobe and you go for a run at 81 points, isn't that by definition sim in a way? If in doubt, pose the question to your opponent. We all know what lobby games are like, and we all agree that's not what we came together to do with this league. Exploiting your opponents' weaknesses or playing to your team's strengths is one thing, but chucking the ball to half court on every inbound pass for cheap dunks and then full court pressing the inbounds pass time after time is lobby play pure and simple. Creating open threes off of screens or open looks due to double teams on the block? Do it all day and you're sim because guess what? You are taking what the defense is giving you. Come up court and chuck up threes thirty times without passing once down low? Not so sim really unless your front court looks like Jeff Foster and Jerome James. I know what the complaint is with the lead pass because it can lead to pretty easy dunks when combined with the pick and roll. If you mix it in with your offense I think that's great if it gives your offense balance, but if you rely on that play exclusively then try to mix it up a little with the pick and pop or kick it out on the drive to a wide open shooter on the wing. I personally use pick and roll a lot, but I like to get jumpers off the screen or pop out for open looks with the dude setting the pick. Try loosening up your defense to protect against the pass and maybe your opponent will think twice about lead passes in the paint. Don't underestimate the effect of your settings have on the game. A simple adjustment is usually all it takes to bottle up a one dimensional offense, and you can't get more sim that that.

I Think steel says it best "thats alot to read so i'm going to go eat some oreo's"
TDANZA420
TDANZA420
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by GD360 Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:16 am

Well said Yayo. Don't listen to TDanza, he's not making sense recently.
GD360
GD360
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TDANZA420 Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:23 am

dude stick a sock in it will ya jajaja Still trying to get over blowing a 10pt lead to Precise and Kobe with about a minute to go then losing in Double OT. Even tho i lost i still have to admit that was perhaps the most fun and best game of 2k i have played to date. Hope there are many more like it. Kobe had 51......THATS SIM Basketball KB FTW

Edited - Not sure if it was then end of regulation or the first OT but KB had a 4pt play to tie it...........As Marv Albert would say.....YESSSSSSS!!!!!
TDANZA420
TDANZA420
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by PJ the WARLORD Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:34 am

Sim Play Guidelines Marv-albert
PJ the WARLORD
PJ the WARLORD
M.V.P
M.V.P

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2007-12-07

http://pjsmortgagenews.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by aRod914 Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:41 am

kudos to the knicks as well...thos guys fought hard. They had Eddie Jones draining threes in Kobe's face. Pao Gasol abusing chandler and Curry....Stackhouse hitting jumpers left and right. Definetly one of the best games I have played. Kobe was in a zone....if i remember correctly he shot of 50% and majority of them were jumpers.
aRod914
aRod914
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by aRod914 Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:43 am

btw Danza...the Catz are intrested in a rematch, perhaps you like to get in a unranked match...let me know
aRod914
aRod914
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Hudacris M3 Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:44 am

At first I thought Sheed=MVP....but now I believe Pau=MVP

Precise...did Eddy do anything that game? lol
Hudacris M3
Hudacris M3
The Patch Informer

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down

Post by aRod914 Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:36 am

yea...i think fatboy had over 20 points and like 9 reb...i even think he added in a block or two.
aRod914
aRod914
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TDANZA420 Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:56 am

precise1987 wrote:btw Danza...the Catz are intrested in a rematch, perhaps you like to get in a unranked match...let me know

Curry was good - lots of clutch baskets late in the game and 3-4 blocks i do believe.

The Bricks would welcome the rematch as playing against a team with that talent can only help us down the line.

Stackhouse and Jones combo......who'd of thunk it
TDANZA420
TDANZA420
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TDANZA420 Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:59 am

Hudacris M3 wrote:At first I thought Sheed=MVP....but now I believe Pau=MVP

Precise...did Eddy do anything that game? lol

I doubted Pau at first but am slowly coming around to this guy. Thought Lewis would be my go to guy but little by little Pau is making me a believer. Lewis averages a bit more but Pau is filling the stats. Kung Pau.........
TDANZA420
TDANZA420
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by GD360 Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 pm

Dang, classic battle. Forget the other DSL Rivalries I think TD vs Precise is definitely brewing. Kobe as Jordan's understudy and JT's classy lineup! Dang...I love how DSL has grown!!
GD360
GD360
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TDANZA420 Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:23 pm

I think KB wanted to prove to me that i should have never traded him....point taken my friend. I guess you guys were right when you said that a team is better then Kobe or Durant jajaja
TDANZA420
TDANZA420
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down