Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

D'Antoni to the Knicks

4 posters

Go down

D'Antoni to the Knicks Empty D'Antoni to the Knicks

Post by TDANZA420 Wed May 14, 2008 7:23 am

Stephon Marbury ($21.1 million) and Malik Rose ($7.6 million) come off the books a year from now, and Jerome James (who will earn $6.2 million and $6.6 million in each of the next two seasons) and Quentin Richardson ($8.1 million and $8.7 million) are off the cap after the 2009-10 season. But already on the books for 2010-11 are Randolph ($17.3 million), Curry ($11.3 million), Jamal Crawford ($10.1 million) and Jeffries ($6.9 million). That's $45.6 million right there just for that season. Then you have to add on the third-year salary for whomever the Knicks select in the lottery this June (whose salary will cost anywhere from $2.8 million to $5.2 million), plus the second-year salary of whomever they pick in the 2009 draft (another $2-5 million). And we haven't even started talking about whatever youngsters David Lee, Nate Robinson and/or Wilson Chandler and Renaldo Balkman will make in the 2010-11 season after their contract extensions and/or options have or will have been negotiated.

So if you estimate another $8 million will go toward the two draft picks, and $14 million to whichever two are the keepers from the Lee-Robinson-Balkman-Chandler foursome, we're already somewhere in the area of $67-68 million for the 2010-11 season. And if we guesstimate that the cap will be $61 million that summer, the Knicks will have to get their payroll down to somewhere in the area of $43 million to be able to make a max contract offer to James.

I spoke to Walsh after the news conference and asked if it was fair to assume that he has to cut the current committed payroll for 2010-11 in half.

"I don't know if I'd have to go that far, but we'll figure it out down to the penny," Walsh said.

D'Antoni wouldn't touch a question about how much James, Wade and the other 2010 free agents had come up in his discussions with Walsh -- "No, you're not going to get me to go there" -- and he discounted the notion that he had formed any sort of special bond with James during their extensive time together the past two summers with Team USA. (They'll be together again this summer in Beijing, when D'Antoni can whisper in James' ear that it might serve everyone best if he waits until 2011 to decide between the Cavs, Knicks and Jay Z's Brooklyn Nets, whose new arena probably won't be built until then anyway.)

"I learned that [James] wants to learn to speak Mandarin and conquer the world of Chinese business. Like with Kobe, I learned how focused he can get, and I learned that he wants to be the best player -- just like Kobe," D'Antoni said.

D'Antoni also said the overriding reason he chose New York over Chicago was that New York was where he and his wife would prefer to live. He also said he did not remember telling Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf "I don't want to coach the Knicks" as Reinsdorf alleges he did, although D'Antoni noted that they talked about a lot of things over the course of their three-hour meeting.

LIES LIES LIES!!!!!! D'antoni took the money like a little weasle and will regret it. I find it funny how they are looking ahead to 2010-2011..........I am willing to wager that D'Antoni will not be the coach of the Knicks come 2010-2011. Unless someone takes on Curry or Randolphs contract they are stuck with them. He will struggle and blame walsh (like he has kerr) for not providing enough talent. If we thought the Isiah - Larry Brown combo was ugly wait till next year Smile
TDANZA420
TDANZA420
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Number of posts : 1473
Registration date : 2007-11-27

http://www.myspace.com/jt2482

Back to top Go down

D'Antoni to the Knicks Empty Re: D'Antoni to the Knicks

Post by Hudacris M3 Wed May 14, 2008 7:32 am

D-antoni = Good

Therefore

Knicks = Good!
Hudacris M3
Hudacris M3
The Patch Informer

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down

Post by aRod914 Wed May 14, 2008 8:31 am

at first I was dissappointed because I really wanted Mark Jackson....however after listening to all the interviews and press conference Im really excited to have D'antoni.

He's a players coach who doesn't preach defense, and we all know the cureent Knicks roster does not have the mindset to play any defense. Lets face it, the KNicks as currenty constructed are not going to win any championship, I just hope D'antoni provides some exciting play until the Big Free Agents are available.

Danza, thats some good facts you put up their about the money and what not. However can't the KNicks just offer Leborn, D-wade, or whoever a max contract and just go over the cap?

BTW I would take the combo of D'Antoni and Walsh over Isaih(coach) and Isiah(president/gm) any day!!!
aRod914
aRod914
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by TDANZA420 Wed May 14, 2008 9:25 am

precise1987 wrote:. Danza, thats some good facts you put up their about the money and what not. However can't the KNicks just offer Leborn, D-wade, or whoever a max contract and just go over the cap?

BTW I would take the combo of D'Antoni and Walsh over Isaih(coach) and Isiah(president/gm) any day!!!

I pulled that off of ESPN - the way the cap works is simular to that of NFL in a way. (as in NBA 2K8) you can only sign a free agent if you have the cap space. If you are over the cap then you can not sign anyone. With the exception of the league min. So unless they can move one of the big contracts (plus let go of a few of the current players) they might not see any cap relief for a while. A big reason why Paxson let Crawford and Curry go to new york is cause he said "we will not sign them to an untradable contract" Looking at it now and how much is owed to those guys it will be hard to find a taker. I think the Knicks are still paying Jerome Williams (Junkyard Dog) lol

I agree that it seems like a perfect match cause niether player or coach cares about D lol They do have some guys that might fit the system but like the bulls i think the roster needs a huge make over.
TDANZA420
TDANZA420
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by arrogant donkey Wed May 14, 2008 9:49 pm

im getting sick and tired of watching all the shit teams in the raptors division gettin better every year th raps better beef up there unit annd get a legidimate SF or the years to come will be scary to watch
arrogant donkey
arrogant donkey
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2007-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post by TDANZA420 Thu May 15, 2008 7:06 am

arrogant donkey wrote:im getting sick and tired of watching all the shit teams in the raptors division gettin better every year th raps better beef up there unit annd get a legidimate SF or the years to come will be scary to watch

hahaha nice....the Donkey has spoken
TDANZA420
TDANZA420
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Hudacris M3 Thu May 15, 2008 7:51 am

arrogant donkey wrote:im getting sick and tired of watching all the shit teams in the raptors division gettin better every year th raps better beef up there unit annd get a legidimate SF or the years to come will be scary to watch

Haha good luck with the Toronto Europeans...I mean the Toronto Raptors
Hudacris M3
Hudacris M3
The Patch Informer

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down

Post by TDANZA420 Thu May 15, 2008 8:16 am

thats my dream team in 2K7 jajaja Europeans know how to play the game tho. They would rather get the assist or steal then the dunk. Bosh needs another big to help dominate. Bosh and Brand would be nice
TDANZA420
TDANZA420
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by aRod914 Thu May 15, 2008 9:38 am

one of the biggest reasons I hate Isiah was, he refused to acquire a pure shooter in the 4 miserable years he was here. I think the Knicks are the only team without a European player, and we know those mofo's can shoot. Damn you Isaih!!!
aRod914
aRod914
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by TDANZA420 Thu May 15, 2008 11:35 am

But he did draft Bulkman
TDANZA420
TDANZA420