Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Scalabrine Phenomenon: Danza'S Favorite Player..........

4 posters

Go down

The Scalabrine Phenomenon: Danza'S Favorite Player.......... Empty The Scalabrine Phenomenon: Danza'S Favorite Player..........

Post by canopr360 Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:34 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Scalabrine Phenomenon: Player as Mascot

December 13, 2007 11:23 AM

Planet Lovetron (the blog, not the place) marvels at how Celtic fans celebrate Brian Scalabrine:

He gets cheered just for touching the ball; they chant his name if he hits a shot. Read: they chant his name if he hits ONE shot. Sometimes they chant his name for doing nothing at all. They even bring homemade signs that call for a "BIG 4!" instead of the Big 3.

I wonder how Scal feels about it all. I'm sure he prefers it to boos, but it hast to be kind of embarrassing. It reminds me of when we used to bring signs and chant "Put in Wohlers!" at our boy's high school basketball games. We'd chant during freethrows, timeouts, halftime. If he got in the game and scored a bucket we'd scream like mad. He may have appreciated some of the support, but certainly not all of it. Yes, we were drunk, and we didn't mean to disrespect, but when your level of fan support disproportionately exceeds your level of skill/production, you are being mocked to a certain degree, even if it's out of love.

I have been in crowds doing that kind of stuff. It's fun! I think, more than anything, it's a sympton of delerium. We're having so much fun that we can indulge in this little bit of group goofiness!

I recognize, though, that it might also be totally annoying and creepy if you're Brian Scalabrine, who is an extremely hard working player who takes his job very seriously. Back when he was with the Nets several people from the team told me he had a nearly insatiable appetite for anything that would make him stronger or more skilled. And as his reward he's roasted in videos like these.

This exact trend -- crowds adopting a bench-warmer as a de facto mascot -- came up in a conversation I had a while ago with an NBA beat writer who spends his time in arenas all over the league. He described something that I kind of hope isn't true: those guys who crowds adore for something other than their skill are almost always white.

If and when he makes it to the NBA, maybe that's something Rod Benson can help remedy.
canopr360
canopr360
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2007-11-25

Back to top Go down

The Scalabrine Phenomenon: Danza'S Favorite Player.......... Empty Re: The Scalabrine Phenomenon: Danza'S Favorite Player..........

Post by TDANZA420 Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:23 am

DUDE i didnt see this till now......awesome article my friend. Brini is a BEAST and we all know it, main reason Big Woo wouldnt trade him away. It's like the movie Dodgeball a true underdog story jajaja i have a list of players who are Stars but people just don't know it yet
TDANZA420
TDANZA420
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Number of posts : 1473
Registration date : 2007-11-27

http://www.myspace.com/jt2482

Back to top Go down

The Scalabrine Phenomenon: Danza'S Favorite Player.......... Empty Re: The Scalabrine Phenomenon: Danza'S Favorite Player..........

Post by canopr360 Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:59 am

jejejejeje....... Yeah Man Brini > Curry +Wallace

jejejeje!!!!!!!
canopr360
canopr360
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TDANZA420 Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:14 am

This would be my ideal lineup

PG - Luke "9-2-5 All Star" Ridnour
SG - Delonte "Wild Wild" West
SF - Jalen "smooth as a" Rose
PF - Brian Scalabrini
C - Samual Dolembert
TDANZA420
TDANZA420
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by canopr360 Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:50 am

DAWM THATS A DREAM TEAM............
canopr360
canopr360
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by BIGWOO22 Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:43 pm

Boston is beastly with their 20-2 record!!!!
BIGWOO22
BIGWOO22
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Number of posts : 24

http://www.myspce.com/BIGWOO22

Back to top Go down

Post by aRod914 Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:06 pm

make that 20-3....what a game against the Pistons. Billups = Mr. Bigshot
aRod914
aRod914
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2007-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by TDANZA420 Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:16 am

precise1987 wrote:make that 20-3....what a game against the Pistons. Billups = Mr. Bigshot

Cano wasn't joking when he said Mr. Clutch is Clutch. A huge 3 then the nice ball fake on Ray or who ever it was to draw the foul, I think the BIG 4 in Detroit have something to say to all those who think Bostons big 3 will just walk into the finals. Thou did u see the sheet eating grin on Big poppis face each time Ray Allen nailed a huge shot or when he went baseline with a dunk

Road to the finals still goes thru DETROIT......BASKETBALL!!!!!!!
TDANZA420
TDANZA420
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by canopr360 Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:24 am

JAJAJAJAJA YEAH!!!!!! MY BOI MR. CLUTCH DOING HIS THING.............. U KNOW THAT PRODUCT FROM COACH CPR 360 .......... I LIKE GARNNETT BUT CHAUNCY IS MY BOI AS POINT GUARD.......

D- TROIT BASKETBALL............
canopr360
canopr360
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by canopr360 Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:26 am

ALSO IN A TRIBUTE U GUYS BETTER NAME HIM MVP OF DSL3 IN 2K WE HAVE 3 WITTNESS OF CLUTCH TIMES..... BIG WOO, ARROGANT D, GD AND PAPPI JOE....... EVEN STEEL KNOWS..... JAJAJAJA..........

MVP BILLUPS...........
canopr360
canopr360
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by TDANZA420 Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:53 am

durant all day all long buddy, according to GM Danza you cant spell Durant without MVP hahaha
TDANZA420
TDANZA420
DSL Veteran
DSL Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down